Lake Clarke Shores Motor Unit Motor Unit
The motor unit at Lake Clarke Shores is a one man unit consisting of one of the Police Department's Sergeants, the purpose of the unit is for traffic compliance and safety. Lake Clarke Shores Police Department's Motor Unit was estabilished in 2004, since this time Sergeant Howell has issued several citations, promotoed public safety, and helped stop crime. The motor unit allows the Officer greater access to businesses and housing developments in Town due to its size. With a greater ease of access and the manuverability of the motorcycle more traffic offenders can be educated on traffic laws, and the roads of Lake Clarke Shores can remain a safer place for for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.
During 2015 Sergeant Howelll issued 400 citations, of these 175 were speeding citations, 100 criminal citations, and 125 seatbelt violations. The motor unit worked a total of 9 car crashes all resulting in zero fatilities.
As an on going effort to keep our roadways safe Sergeant Howell would like to remind everyone in town and pass through to "Share the Road" please look at the following ways to keep our active community safe!
Some great ways to stay safe and some legal reminders for activities during dawn, dusk, and evenings:
· Wear bright colors so that it is easier for drivers to see you while walking/running/biking/etc.
· Wear a flasher or light to draw attention if you are walking or running and especially if you are pushing a stroller.
· Bicyclist MUST have 2 reflectors on their bikes -1 for the front and 1 for the back of the bike. Bicyclist MUST also have a Headlight on the front of their bikes IT’S THE LAW.
· If you’re a runner or walker, REMEMBER to GO AGAINST TRAFFIC so that you can see what’s coming towards you.
· If you’re a bicyclist, you are a vehicle by LAW. REMEMBER to GO WITH TRAFFIC.
DRIVERS: The speed limit in town is 25 mph. This is enforced for the safety of the public. Citations will be issued.