Flooding can happen to any property anytime. Here are some things you can do to protect yourself and your home:
- Keep an inventory of your valuables by making a list or taking a video of your possessions in and around your home. Keep this in a safe place.
- Keep important papers high and dry. Put them in a safe deposit box or store them in a waterproof container.
- If flooding does occur, stay away from electrical outlets, appliances, and any outdoor downed wires. For power outage help call FPL at 1-800-4OUTAGE.
- Avoid driving through flooded streets. It takes less than two inches of water for a car to hydroplane on wet roadways. There may also be unseen debris in the water that could make driving dangerous.
- Contact your local insurance carrier for information on purchasing flood insurance.
- For insurance referral services call the National Flood Insurance Program at: 1-888-435-6637 or 1-888-379-9531.
For more information go to the official website for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at www.floodsmart.gov.